Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Prop 2 -- Those cute little tasty animals...

I think that Prop 2 is all about the Rich people oppressing the poor...

Let us hop aboard the logic train once again, where I am your conductor... And please do not worry, I go slow enough to remember to stay on the tracks...

So we have my initial statement, that Prop 2 is about Rich people oppressing the poor... I guess it is time for me to back that up... Well to do that, I would need to inform the non-Californians (and even those Californians who do not bother to find out about the propositions...) what Prop 2 is...

According to the Official Voter Information Guide Prop 2 is "... this measure prohibits, with certain exceptions, the confinement on a farm of pregnant pigs, calves raised for veal, and egg-laying hens in a manner that does not allow them to turn around freely, lie down, stand up, and fully extend their limbs..." Then it goes on to discuss penalties...

That sounds great, good job Californians to find something else wrong to focus on...

The only commercial on TV that I have seen on this has been for it, and it is the one with the Vet playing with her doggie, and empathizing with us saying "... we would not do this to our pets, why would we do it other animals?" (Or something close to that, I understand it is not a direct quote, but the point she is making is still reflected in the statement...)

Now, seeing as this is the only publicity this prop has gotten that I have seen/heard, I wanted to think about the other side of the coin (I am good little voter, head pats are accepted...) and the first thought that came to my head was the initial statement... Rich people are oppressing poor people...

So now you are probably saying to yourself (out loud or in your head), "Chris, you have said that 3 times now and still I do not see the connection. Are you going to keep rambling on, or are you going to tell us the connection?" (I will pause for a moment for you to either say or think this...)

(Pause)







(End of Pause)

One of the arguments against prop 7 is that if it passes there will be fines on the Power Companies and that will have a trickle down effect on the employees and customers... Why then can we not say that about Prop 2 also? If this proposition passes, new building will have to be built, more land will have to be purchased, or even some inventory will have to be removed lessening the overall profit of the company... All of this equals higher overhead costs for the company...

I know this sounds like I am heartless towards animals, but I am the guy who proudly proclaims that PETA stands for People for the Eating of Tasty Animals... When I sit down to eat my turkey at Thanksgiving I am not thinking, "I wonder where this turkey spent its life?" or "I wonder if it had a little turkey family?" And neither are you... We are all thinking "I hope I am near the front of the line so I can get a drumstick!" And maybe you are part of the population who are concerned about where you food came from. Here is my response to you... That turkey's life stunk, it was rotten, miserable... You are actually doing it a favor by eating it... After all the turkey had one purpose on this earth... And you are helping it fulfill it... Aren't you a good Samaritan?

Okay Chris, connection please...

Fine, in case you do not see it yet... Here it is: This will cause the price of meat and dairy to go up... It will make an expensive market even more expensive... And poor people, well are poor... Could you imagine depriving people of milk, eggs, meat... Can you imagine what the price of a hot dog would be at a baseball game then? I think the connection is made, but to some up my feelings here they are...

1. We are not talking about FIDO, we are talking about animals whose sole purpose is for the production of humanities food supply.

2. Passage of this proposition will increase the overhead costs of the industry for reasons I have stated above, and very well could drive even more jobs from our state...

3. Finally, increasing costs, to an already costly item, puts an even greater strained on a normal person's already stretched pocket book...

No comments: